- On April 21, 2021
- Summer heat waves result in rising cooling costs for many businesses in Arizona.
- With the help of Howard Air, you can keep your HVAC system operating at peak energy efficiency.
- There are several things you can do to lower cooling costs.
Ways to Cut Cooling Costs for Your Business this Summer
Summer in Phoenix, Arizona, brings scorching heat waves, so you want to keep the inside of your business building cool and comfortable for your customers and employees. Running your commercial HVAC system continuously will leave you with a high utility bill, but there are many ways to reduce energy consumption and lower cooling costs.
By changing your habits and working with a reputable HVAC company such as Howard Air, you can reduce cooling costs and keep your business building at a comfortable temperature without spending more than necessary.
Install the Right AC Unit
The most effective way to reduce cooling costs in your company building is to choose the right HVAC for business. An energy-efficient air conditioner reduces the amount of power you use from the start. While an energy-efficient system may be a significant expense upfront, you will quickly get back your initial investment with what you save in cooling costs. These units cool your business building in short, frequent bursts, so the space stays comfortable throughout the day.
If it is time for you to get a new HVAC system or just want to trade in your existing unit for one that is more energy-efficient, Howard Air can help you find the model that meets your company’s needs. As an authorized Trane dealer, we specialize in installing and maintaining these high-quality commercial units. Our technicians will measure your building and determine which size unit you need to cool the space effectively.
Use Alternative Methods of Cooling
Running your commercial air conditioner constantly will increase energy costs, so finding alternative ways to cool your building is a good way to save money. If you can, install ceiling fans. Because they use less energy than air conditioning units, ceiling fans can cool your building without costing a lot of money.
You may also want to plant shade trees around your building to reduce the amount of sunlight that penetrates the building. Excessive sunlight heats a building quickly, so if you can keep the sun from shining inside the building, you can naturally lower the temperature. Another good way to lower the cost of cooling your business building is to install energy-efficient windows. Make sure to install caulking and weather stripping around the windows to keep warm air from entering the building through minuscule cracks.
Change Your Habits
Changing your habits is one of the best ways to reduce the energy usage of your HVAC unit. Whether you own a big or small business building, use the following tips to conserve energy use and lower cooling costs.
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs: Certain types of light bulbs give off a lot of heat, so using many of them can cause the temperature inside your business building to rise. Switch to using LED light bulbs to conserve energy and keep from heating the building unnecessarily.
- Keep the thermostat set as high as comfortable: The higher your thermostat is set, the lower your cooling bill will be. Setting the thermostat too high will cause your building to get too hot, while setting it too low will cause energy bills to skyrocket. Most people stay comfortable when the thermostat is set at 78 degrees, so aim for this temperature.
- Refrain from cooling an empty building: There is no point in paying to cool your business building when no one is working. Invest in a programmable thermostat so you can turn off the air conditioning system after all of your employees go home for the night. Nights are typically cooler than daytime hours, so you don’t have to worry about heat buildup while the unit is off.
Work With an HVAC Company
Even if you choose the best commercial HVAC system available and invest in alternative cooling methods such as a window unit, you could still end up spending a lot of money on electricity costs if you don’t keep the system maintained and serviced regularly. Enlisting the help of licensed technicians such as the ones at Howard Air is the best way to extend the lifetime of your unit and get the most for your money.
For best results, we recommend servicing your commercial HVAC system at least once a year. During these routine visits, you can expect us to change out the unit’s air filters to improve the air quality in your company building. This is a task you can do by yourself, but we are happy to do it for you if changing the filters involves tight places such as crawl spaces.
We will also thoroughly inspect your system to ensure every component is working properly. Minor issues can become major quickly, so our goal is to identify and repair any potential problems before they cause problems in the integrity of your system. By repairing and replacing components early, we can reduce the chance of your unit malfunctioning unexpectedly and keep it running with maximum energy efficiency.
The final way the technicians at Howard Air help lower the cost of your cooling bill is by keeping your units and ducts clean. Our team members will thoroughly clean dirt, dust, pollen, and other pollutants from your air ducts at every maintenance visit. Not only does this improve the air quality of your business building, but it also keeps the system running smoothly.
If you want to reduce cooling costs and still keep your company building at a comfortable temperature, there are many things you can do to lower your energy bill without compromising the comfort of your customers and employees. Partnering with a reliable HVAC company is the best way to keep your cooling system well-maintained, so it works properly and lasts longer.
Howard Air is ready to help businesses of all sizes in and around Phoenix to reduce cooling costs and improve their bottom lines. For more information on how we can help lower your energy costs, contact us today.
Featured Image: Olivier Le Moal/Shutterstock